RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Hovila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 22:04:24 -0700
Jo Yoshida wrote:
>As for the Essene connection, the religion's validation of a raw vegan
>dietary; its esoteric tenets and rituals that distinguish it from
>mainstream Christianity; these could play on the loner /renegade streak in
>those who feel isolated from / superior to the general populace who subsist
>on cooked fare and animal products.

I'm not sure it's correct that Essenes advocate a raw vegan diet.  The
"milk
of beasts" is deemed acceptable in The Essene Gospel of Peace, as well
as
honey.  Certainly raw vegan foods are given a large emphasis by many
modern
Essenes.  I believe it is generally accepted that the ancient Essenes
were
vegetarians, but I don't think a lot of specifics are known.  Nor are
any
specifics known about their esoteric tenets and rituals.  The modern
Essene
movement, which I think began with Edmond Bordeaux Szekely in this
century,
has mostly developed its own religious practices and dietary, using
the
limited historical resources as a starting point.

I could be mistaken on some of this, and would invite anybody to
correct me
or add to my comments.

Mark