RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg Ginner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 09:59:23 +0000

> Submitted to veg-raw by: Dean Fienberg <[log in to unmask]>
> I've been running 5 miles a day on a raw food diet with no problems.  In
> fact, I can run much longer an easier than I ever did before I started
> this diet.

> I've been thinking, however, of adding weight lifting to my exercise
> regimen, but keep putting it off cause everyone I know says terrible
> things will happen to me because my diet isn't substantial enough.

> Does anyone out there know anything about this subject?  Anyone tried
> weight lifting on a raw food diet?  Would I need watch my protein intake
> carefully (through sprouts and the like) extra carefully?  And does one
> really bulk up like meat eaters do upon weight lifting?

Dear Dean,

I have been 100% raw for 3 1/2 years.

I have been a runner for over 15 years, and never before (raw foods)
felt as though I could run a marathon.  After transitioning to live
foods, I began running longer and longer distances.  I have since
completed 7 marathons, my best time 3:43.  I have heard it is quite
common to get sick after a marathon, but I have never experienced an
illness post-marathon.

I am a personal trainer, and I lift weights everyday - taking a day off
every fourth day.  I work different muscle groups each workout, so I
only hit the same muscle twice a week.  I am not as big and muscular as
some, but my running prevents me from gaining too much size.

I highly recommend you incorporating weight (strength) training into
your workouts.  Running is an excellent cardiovascular activity, but
does nothing to maintain your muscular strength.  In fact, running
actually breaks down your muscles, so the combination of the two is very
effective.

I have not concerned myself with protein, and I feel fantantic! - but
every body is different.

Good Luck - Enjoy your workouts.

Debby