From:
Derek Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:07:46 -0400
Hello All,
        It has been awhile since I spoke since I mainly lurk because of time.  I
have a question or more to the point a dilemma.  My pastor has a second
phone line wired into the house specifically for his computer to allow
him to surf the web.  This way he can still get calls.  Recently, his
modem can't dial out on this line.  Here is the kicker, he can dial out
on his first line.  The jack in his study is only wired line two.  I know
there should be no confusion as far as what line is being dialed on.
However, if we use a 25 ft. telephone cord to reach a jack in the kitchen
that is wired line one, we can dial out all day and night.
        Has anyone ever run into this?  I am guessing line noise.  Here are the
specs.
IBM Aptiva 350 AMD
64 MB Ram
USR modem 56K model 5699 the current PCI modem available on the shelf at
many stores
Win98

The phone company guy just says it is the modem, but that does not
explain why it works on line one.  Admittedly, the guy tried a laptop
with an old modem like a 28.8 or maybe slower.  My pastor wasn't sure of
the speed.  Am I correct in saying that 56K modems are more sensitive to
noise?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Derek Buchanan
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>