From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 07:10:19 -0400
I have used Western Digital hard drives for several years.  Right now I have 2 WD's (30 gigs and 6.4 gigs), and an older Quantum Fireball 4.3 gig in my current machine.  The Quantum is from 1997, the WD 6.4 from early 1998, and the WD 30 gig is from early this year.  I have not had problems with any of them.

>I need to buy a new Hard drive, size around 40 Gb.
>I use an old Asus P2B motherboard, so I guess that the speed of the new
>drives will not much be relevant (because the mobo supports only UDMA/33,
>and I don't wish to buy a IDE card or a new mobo).
>
>I know the IBM 40Gb (60GXP series), and consider them, but I wish to
>consider other options as well, such as Seagate, Western Digital, Quantum,
>or Maxtor.
>
>A friend of mine presses me to choose the Quantum saying that their latest
>HD is better and more reliable than the 40Gb IBM. I mainly interested in
>reliability. I myself know that Quantum had some not so good products in
>the past, while I have good experience with IBM drives, but maybe he knows
>what he says.
>
>Any recommendations?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml