From:
Leigh Jennings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 17:40:46 +1000
HI Listers

I hope somone can help me pin down the cause of this fault:

The monitor suddenly goes to coloured vertical stripes the pattern is
repeated about 5 to 10 times across the screen, the system locks up totaly
and a hard boot is necessary. Nothing else is visible on the  screen, just
stripes...
It started doing this about a week ago and went from doing it every few
days to doing it a few times every day, I fear the day when it wont work at
all!  It can happen at times of low med or high stress on the system which
makes me think its not a heat problem. The monitor is less than a year old.
My system:

MOBO:   ASUS SP97v with  SiS Super TX Chipset (5598) (onboard video)
CHIP:           AMD K6 2-400 overclocked to 450
GRAPHICS:       Voodoo2
MONITOR:        LG Studioworks 995E
RAM:            94 meg

Other stuff:    2 HDDs, cd rom, cdrw, soundblaster 16, NE2000 card, modem, etc etc

My gut feeling is that that the problem is with the voodoo card (or perhaps
this is just wishfull thinking).
Also this is probably totaly unrelated but my sound started going "choppy"
when playing a CD (pre recorded , not burnt) today, its never happened
before.  Apart from this the monitor seems rock solid and the system has
been as stable as a windows system can be #:-)
Any suggestions about where to start with the video would be apreciated, my
only thought is to remove the voodoo2 card and see if it fixes it. If I do
this will I need to uninstall the voodoo drivers? or should it just work of
the sis drivers regardless?

Thanks in advance
Leigh Jennings