From:
"Joab S. Herman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 04:22:20 -0400
While I respect your opinion, I feel that I should point out
some inaccuracies in your comments.

1. First of all, the warranty is not voided just because you use
non-manufacturer cartridges, which by the way are not
necessarily refilled. The warranty is voided only if the
cartridge actually damages the printer. The warranty is not
critical in any event, as a new printer costs no more than 3 or
4 new manufacturer's cartridges anyway, and you save quite a bit
more than that by refilling.
2. Inks are available specifically formulated for virtually any
manufacturer's cartridge. I have refilled Epson cartridges, for
three different models, many, many times with no loss of quality
or performance. Of course I have used refill ink specified for
the exact cartridges refilled.
3. To put this in perspective, last year my son had a
requirement to quickly send out prospectuses, for the business
he was starting, in full photographic mode on glossy paper on
our Epson 740. The quantity was such that in one day we would go
through 2-3 color and black cartridges, and I'm sure you have an
idea how much that cost. I bought four pints of ink, (CMY and K)
and we started refilling. We made back the cost of the ink in
one day of savings on cartridges, and the job was done in about
a week. We had so much ink left over that we still have not
bought ink or cartridges for that printer in the last year. We
also have an Epson 600, which uses the same ink, and we haven't
had to buy anything for that printer either. And we won't have
to for some time to come as there is still much ink left. Of
course everyone's needs are different, and what was right for us
won't necessarily be right for everyone else. Out of necessity,
we saved hundreds of dollars in a very short time on one big
print job. Only you can decide what your time and trouble is
worth, but once you do it a few times, it only takes about 20
minutes to refill a color cartridge, and much less than that to
do a black cartridge. The money we saved could have bought
several new printers.

Joab