From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 04:25:31 -0700
Though not impossible, it is unlikely that the phone jack on the modem went
kaput.  Try looking in Device Manager to see if the modem is properly
installed.  Right click on "my computer", choose "properties", and then
click on the "device manager" tab.  Scroll down until you see "Modem",
double click on it, then highlight whatever shows under it.  If you see a
yellow exclamation point in front of the modem it isn't properly installed.
If you don't see the yellow !, click on properties and check each tab in the
dialog box that pops up.  There will be a "general" tab which usually says
"this device is working properly", but can contain a message that it is not
properly installed. Was this modem working, and then for no apparent reason
just stopped working?  Did you change any settings related to it, or this
just happened?

Either way I would suggest that you uninstall it in device manager, do a
restart, then reinstall it. Windows will give you a new hardware found
screen to walk you through the reinstall.  Before reinstalling it get on the
Internet on someone else's computer and check for a driver update at
Creative's web site.  The new drivers will fit on a floppy.  The
uninstall/reinstall only takes a few minutes, and if it still doesn't work
then you need to spend some more time troubleshooting.  You might try
calling tech support at your ISP, they can run you through a lot of stuff
while you are sitting at your machine.  It's free, and they can often be
very helpful.  Same with your computer manufacturer's tech support.

Subject: [PCBUILD] Modem cannot detect dial tone

Hi,

Currently I'm having a problem with my creative modem blaster. When i try to
connect to my isp (dial up), an error message came up stating that it cannot
detect a dial tone.

I have tried changing the 2 wire cable but still the modem cannot detect the
dial tone. I tried using both cable and a telephone on the phone line, and
the phone operate normally. Meaning I can hear a dial tone and i can dial
through the phone.

Now, I suspect that the line jack/port on the modem has gone kaput but I
would like to ask for an opinion from all of you in the list about the above
problem.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com