"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 04:25:11 -0700
The Belkin boxes are not the "tin" boxes I referred to.  If you want to see
a laundry list of the grief and aggravation HP users have suffered by
piggybacking, go to www.hp.com and then to one of the "community forums" for
particular models where users post questions about specific problems.  The
OS freezing up and/or the printer freezing up are two of the most common.
The forum moderators are quick to point out that HP recommends against
piggybacking as do HP's product manuals.  That your configuration has worked
and continues to work does not mean that it will work somewhere else.  I
would not recommend a setup that HP users have reported so many problems
with, and that HP recommends against.  Besides, my recommendation is exactly
what you describe you did minus the piggybacking.  The need for piggybacking
can be eliminated simply by plugging in another Belkin box to one of the
ports in the two-port FU123's, or by just buying a four-port model.  If you
have two LPT's connected each to a four-port Belkin box, you'd have 8 LPT's
to work with and no piggybacking.  The user is, of course, free to try your
set up, and if it works, that's fine.

I certainly bow to Joel's superior knowledge and experience, but now I
guess I about the luckiest guy alive, as I've committed enough computer
"sins" to spend eternity in computer hell. So, I'd like to learn the
symptoms of malfunctions we should watch for.

We have one computer (K6-2/350) used in a publishing & typ;esetting
business) - which has gone through several OS and hdwe upgrades since
1993 - that had one of Belkin's "tin" switch boxes" A-B'd between scanner
on A and an HP4 laserjet printer (bought new, 1993) piggy-backed to an
external Zip drive on B (worked fine for about 8mo until we installed the
second LPT*).

Since, we added the second parallel port (LPT2), we have a Lexmark 3200
inkjet connected directly to LPT2; on LPT1 the HP4 Laserjet is
piggybacked onto a scanner (three different scanners over three year
period) which is further piggybacked into an external 100mb Zip drive. No
problems during the past three years.*

On another computer (K6-2/266), I have for a couple years had a Belkin
"tin" switchbox switching between a Panasonic KX-P1524 wide-carriage
dotmatrix and a Panasonic KP-6500 laser printer with no problems*.

On my mother's computer (P100, W98SE) we have another Belkin tin box,
switching between a Panasonic KX-P1124 dotmatrix, and a Lexmark 3200
piggybacked into a scanner. Again no problems.

(*) No problems? No problems (and, none unsolved) which could be
attributed to either the piggybacking or to Belkin's tin switchboxes. We
did have one bad box, exchanged by the retailer. All above printers &
peripherals are still working fine after as long as almost 8 years.

I'm sure we are doomed to some kind of trouble, but please advise what
kind of problems - and their symptoms - we should be watching for as a
result of our tin switchboxes and piggybacking.

Most respectfully,
jack payton

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>