From:
Wiley Pinkerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 05:29:21 -0500
On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:34:09 -0500, Catherine Williamson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Someone gave me a computer after it's power supply had burnt up and
>damaged the monitor. I thought I'd fix it up to use as a spare computer
>so I put in another power supply and hooked it up to my own monitor. Now
>I can get it to POST and recognise both HDs and all the RAM but it won't
>boot into Windows which was already on the primary HD. I keep getting the
>message "Press a key to reboot" and when I press a key it would go thru
>POST again and come back to the same message. Sometimes I get "Press a key
>to reboot, Press DEL to enter CMOS" but when I get into CMOS I don't know
>what I'm supposed to change.
>Would someone please tell me what to do?
>Thanks.
>Cathy
>
>         PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                     visit our download web page at:
>                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

Cathy,
It sounds as if the system files have been deleted or corrupted.  Since you said
it was your "spare" computer, use your computer to make a start-up disk. (Control
panel, add/remove programs, start-up disk, create disk)  After the disk is made,
boot your spare computer with the start-up disk inserted.  From there, you can
re-install the Operating System.  If you're not comfortable with the BIOS, it's
best not to change those settings. Here is one page that instructs how to install
Windows 98, http://www.freepctech.com/pc/001/004.shtml  There are many articles
like this one you can find at freepctech.com .

Wiley Pinkerton

Fix My PC!