Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 19:46:24 -0800
On 16 Jan 2001, at 10:05, Jeff House wrote:

> Hello,
>    I am trying to install 2 network cards in a PC with Windows
> NT4. Didn't really have a problem with any conflicts yet, but was
> wondering if there was anyway that both cards could share the same
> IP address? One card is going to be used for a data capture process
> using a crossover cable, and the other one will connect to the
> local Network.
>
> TIA,
>    Jeff House
>
> Jeff House, PC Network Spec., Information Systems
> VLOC, Subsidiary of II-VI Inc.
> 7826 Photonics Dr. New Port Richey, FL 34655

  There *may* be a way that they can use the same IP address, but it
will be very hard to use either of them if they're set that way.

> ... One card is going to be used for a data capture process
> using a crossover cable, and the other one will connect to the
> local Network.

  The cards are going to connect to different networks.  As such, the
network portion of the IP addresses assigned to them should be
different!
  You probably don't want to bind the data-capture NIC to services
like Server, Workstation, or WINS Client, and it probably doesn't
need a default gateway, either.  But it and the device it connects to
should share a private (RFC 1918) subnet that is separate from your
local network.

  About the only time you want to associate a single (non-broadcast)
IP address with multiple interfaces is if you're running some special
driver to "multi-link" them -- and in that case, they need to go to
the same place with similar multi-link (e.g., Cisco switches' "Fast
EtherChannel" feature) support, to make them look like a single
connection with twice the usual bandwidth.

David G