From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:35:27 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:
> Conversely, one could argue that if the Tarahumara and others can
> be extremely fit and healthy eating foods that humans have only
> had access to for 15,000 years or less, the argument collapses
> anyway.

I have had some experience observing the health and diet of people with
native central American ancestry.

My (anecdotal) observation is that these people do poorly on rice, beans,
corn, cheese, processed lard, etc. Diabetes, obesity and heart disease seem
endemic.

I think that the native Central or South American diets included lots of
insects. Native Mexican cooking does, even today.  I don't think peppers,
tomatoes etc. made up a huge percentage of the native people's diet. I know
the Aztecs cultivated things like a type of edible pond scum and raised dogs
for eating. Almost no resemblance between the diets then and now except
perhaps for the dependence on corn, and I'm not sure that the type of corn
was comparable to the corn of today either.

--Richard