Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:38:14 -0400
Stacie Tolen said:
I understand that chestnuts are also high carb, with approximately 16g per 5
nuts. A little goes a long way, I guess.

Chestnut trees used to cover the American continent, until a chestnut blight
wiped them out.  I belive that was sometime in the 1800s.  Chestnuts are
carb dense, but very delicious.  I used to prepare them a lot (usually with
grains, beans, or fruit) when I was into macrobiotics. Chestnuts are still
grown widely in Europe, particularly Italy and France.  There were moves
made to revive chestnut trees in the U.S. but I don't know how far they have
gotten with that.

Chestnut treeas are beautiful and hardy and bear a lot of fruits within a
short time.   In the fall you can buy chestnuts at farmers' markets and in
many supermarkets.  I find them more digestible than beans.  They are low in
fat, high in carbs,; their composition is more like that of a grain or fruit
than a "nut."  They are naturally sweet and tasty a bit like fruit, and like
jersey sweet potato flesh.  They are easily roasted in an oven, on a hot
hearth, etc., and make a nice dessert on their own, although they are also
delicious added cooked fruit compotes, stews, or could conceivabley be used
to make a grain-free stuffing for poultry, for those on the list who cook.

Rachel