From:
Paul Sand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:27:04 +0100
Acne is the only conditon which got worse when swiching from vegeterian to
paleo (my paleo is very high in fat (70-80%), moderate in protein, low
carb).
While being vegeterian I had very dry skin and loads of dundruff so it was
impossible to have acne. Now my skin is great, dundruff is completely gone
but I get acne on my back. I did some research and observation and here are
some hypothesis found in literature:

1 Acne is coused by fat imbalance omega 3/6 - but it seems that acne is not
related to the kind of fat I eat except nuts ( a no-no for me they always
cause some adverse effects)

2 Acne is caused by dirty colon (not enough fiber) - my regularity seems to
be completly uncorrelated with the amount of fiber in my diet. I can have
daily regularuty with no veggies at all or be constipated with loads of
veggies.

3. Too much saturated fat in the diet - when I try to cut off the fat and
higher up protein intake (I can't increase carbs intake because it gives me
hypo reactions)I definitly start to loose energy, my muscule mass decreases
but my acne seems to improve but after a while my dundruff also goes back so
it's not a solution for me.

Hypothesis which IMO is the solution but I can't resolve that puzzle
completely:

Testosterone levels - I found claims that increased testosterone seems to
aggravate acne.

I noticed that when on a high fat diet I eat too much carbs and/or proteins
(basically too much glucose)3 things happen:
- my sex drive goes really crazy;
- my gym results improve;
- my acne gets really bad;
- my IBS goes back to life;

At least first 2 can imply higher testosterone levels.
Is any correlation between high insuline levels (due to higher glucose
consumption) and testosteron or whatever else.

I also get acne when sressed-out too much and stress also causes insuline to
jump.

Any comments/own experiences appreciated

Paul Sand