From:
Brett Winchester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:13:34 -0700
good commercial guy!  Are you now working for one of those cable tv home shopping channels grin!

Thank You!

BRETT K WINCHESTER  PM  KD7JN

http://www.icbvi.state.id.us/brochure/RADIO.HTM

VOLUNTEER & READING SERVICES MANAGER
IDAHO COMMISSION f/t BLIND & VISUALLY IMPAIRED - ICBVI
P O BOX 83720
341 W WASHINGTON
BOISE IDAHO  83720-0012

208-334-3220 ext 104 +7 = voice mail
fax  208-334-2963
Member IAAIS International Association of Audio Information Services

>>> "Nathan, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]> 01/15/02 09:55AM >>>
Hi Fred and All,

I have used a variety of tuners throughout my ham radio career.  Most
operate in approximately the same manner but vary in antenna switching
options, metering and, at times, the type of network used for tuning
purposes.  Let me speak of the tuner which, until just recently, I have been
using.  I think the way it operates in the tuning process is fairly
representative of manual tuners as a whole.  In addition, I can be a little
self serving in this post.  This tuner is now for sale, for the reasons
described below, at $250 which includes shipping in the continental U.S.

This tuner is a Viewstar high power tuner, the model VS1500A.  It is a
T-match system with variable input and output capacitors and a roller
inductor.  In using it and other tuners, I find I had to change the setting
of the input capacitor very little when changing bands or even antennas
although I found I needed a little more capacitance when I tuned my beam
than I did with my wire antenna.  So, the primary adjustments are made with
the roller inductor and output cap.  I built a log file where I recorded
settings for each band and found that by quickly setting the tuner to those
settings I could tune up very quickly.  I like the range of a manual tuner
over that of an auto tuner although, to be honest, I've never used the
latter outside those internal to my radios.  What I do find with a manual
tuner is the ability to match a wide variety of antennas where the internal
tuners in our radios won't even begin to achieve a match.

Now, let me get back to the commercial for my tuner.  It has antenna
switching for two coaxial antennas which can be used through the tuner or
bypassed.  It has facility for a third coax fed antenna to always bypass the
tuner and another setting for connecting a dummy load.  It also has
positions for single wire and balanced line feeds along with an internal 4
to 1 balun.  It has metering for reflected power and two settings for
forward power.  It will take high power on all bands except for 160 where it
seems a little more sensitive to high voltages.  That is why I am selling
it.  It will tune 160 at the 100 watt level until the cows come home but the
output cap wants to arc at higher power on my system.

Best of all, it is set up for use by a blind person.  The input and out cap
dials are marked with puffy paint for tactile indication and the roller
inductor has a nice crank on the handle so it is easy to count turns with
it.  A jack has been installed across the meter for connection of a meter
reader so it is very simple to plug in a meter reader of some kind, set the
switch for reflected power and tune your antenna perfectly.  If you want a
good tuner on all bands and if your 160 meter antenna is pretty close to
resonance already, this tuner would do a great job for you.

If you, Fred, or anyone else is interested in this tuner please let me know.
Thanks much and 73.
Kevin, K7RX

Kevin Nathan, Independent Living Coordinator
Dept. of Services for the Blind
3411 S. Alaska
Seattle, Wa 98118
Voice:  (206) 721-6450