From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:47:07 -0400
Jim:

You didn't specify the OS on dau's system, but presuming it's a Win9x/me,
it sounds like - unless this is some kind of exotic cordless upside down
mouse - you should return the mouse to the store. Before you do that,
have you tried the mouse on *your* system (or some other system) to see
if the mouse actually functions? Is it plugged into the correct
connection on the back of the computer? Did you plug in the mouse first,
then turn on the machine? These may be stupid questions, but I've
installed and replaced a lot of standard two/three button "standard" mice
and the all worked without any special drivers - even the exotics were at
least *recognized* by Windows, though they may not have done their
special thing without specific drivers. If her old mouse worked when
plugged into the same connection, the connection should be working. If
you're plugging the new mouse into a different (correct) connection,
check the connection by plugging a known functional mouse into that mouse
connection.

Jack

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 03:23:38 -0700 james ashley <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Hi All: My daughter's computer is a "homemade" system and
> is only used for schoolwork and browsing but it frees up my
> computer when she needs to get online. My problem is this:
> I installed a new mouse for her and the computer refuses to
> recognize it. Ive tried uninstalling (Device Mgr) and
> re-installing (Add/Remove Progs)but to no avail. Does
> anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
> Jim

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com