From:
Ariel Lopez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 17:06:39 -0300
Hi,
I have a SOYO Motherboard 5EH V 1.2 with an ETEQ 6638/9 chipset (BIOS revision 5EH V1.2-1CA2) and an AMD K6-2 450 CPU. My operating system is Windows 98 Version 4.10.2222.
I have succesfully installed a Creative Sound Blaster Live (PCI), but when I try to enable the UltraDMA 33 mode in Windows the sound produces glitches and some kind of interference. My motherboard, Hard Disk and DVD (a Creative PC-DVD Dxr3) are all UDMA33 compatible and I think I have all the drivers I (think I) should have (so far as I know my Windows version doesn't need the Bus Master Drivers for my motherboard and I CAN'T install them). In the BIOS, the HD and DVD are all set to "AUTO" and that results in UDMA33 for the last two and "Mode4" for the CD-ROM (that's at least what the screen says everytime I turn on my computer). But for some reason the Sound Blaster Live Value works properly only when the UltraDMA 33 Mode is disabled in Windows. I have reinstalled the Creative Drivers (and the card itself) with no success.
I think the problem might be connected with the IRQ assignment in my computer. Since I installed the new Creative Sound Blaster Live with the Dxr3 (for the DVD) the IRQ Control in the PCI BUS in Windows reports that the IRQ table is deactivated and not working properly. I have tried different changes in the BIOS and one of them (deactivating the IRQ assigned to the USB) seemed to repair the problem in the IRQ table, but the Sound Blaster Live stopped working at all (it made strange repetitive noises).
My IRQ assignment table is now (that is before the changes to the USB):
0               chronometer
1               KEYBOARD
2               irq control
3               COM2
4               COM1
5               SBLIVE / irq marker
6               FDD
7               LPT1
8               CMOS
9               FREE
10              MODEM / irq marker
11              USB/ irq marker
12              DXR3/ irq marker
13              nummerical processor
14              IDE1 / bus master
15              IDE2 / bus master

Do you have any idea of what could be the problem?
Should I change something in the BIOS?
Could be there some kind of conflict between the resources used by the sound card and any other device? (Windows doesn't detect ANY conflict)
Any driver updates?

THANK YOU.

P.S.: Every time I set the DMA in Windows a messagge appears saying: "Warning, non compatible hardware. This could result in changes for your hardware... Ask your harware manufacturer to be sure this is supported..." But I know that the UDMA33 is supported. In fact, when I reboot, the UDMA33 works. It is the sound that doesn't work (properly).

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com