From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:59:59 -0600
>I've just seen an obituary of a 27 year old. No cause of death was >given,
>but it was described as "sudden." He was described as a >computer nerd, and
>judging from his photo, he was way overweight. >This maybe the beginning of
>an epidemic of deaths of 20 year olds. >Maybe this will stir the government
>into action.

Don't count on it.

Just yesterday, the US Surgeon General gave his seal of approval to National
TV Turnoff Week, a good idea in and of itself but, as usual, the
government's slip was showing.

Surgeon General Satcher cited time in front of the tube and the food ads
aimed at kids, all of which are for junk food (i.e. Skittles, Coke and
Doritos), as unhealthy habits we should help our kids break.  He also
released the latest statistics; today's kids are the fattest in US history
with kids as young as 12 being diagnosed as type II diabetics.

His solution is a problem in and of itself, however; an ultra-low fat,
minimal protein diet packed with grain.  Again, he's required to promote
this dietary prototype by law.  It'll be a cold day in hell before Uncle Sam
suggests mom and dad give junior some pemmican, as red meat is considered
unhealthy (more on that in my next post).

Dori Zook
Denver, CO