EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
dave skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:27:53 -0800

>Good question.  Faigin cites Colgan's "Optimum Sports Nutrition" for his
>30g to 50g absorption figure.  Normally, Faigin cites articles from
>scientific journals.  I don't know from where or how Colgan gets his number.

not a good source..  he may be just quoting body building urban legends

>Interestingly, both the papers discussed in the other thread on insulin's
>response to protein used 50g in their studies.  How did they choose this
>number?

tadah,  its a round number*grin*

>While the maximum absorption amount is in question, and probably varies
>from person to person anyway,

usually these things are quoted in terms of a mythical 70kg male..

>  the paper pasted below, cited by Faigin,
>makes the case against binging protein consumption and spreading it out
>over several, smaller meals.
>
>Benefit of more but smaller meals at a fixed daily protein intake.

for an example, lets look at a 200# male body builder.  if he is at about
8% body fat he would have 184 pounds of lean body mass.  if he eats the
typically recommend 1g of protein per pound of LBM, he has to some how eat
184 g of protein per day.  If he eats 4 meals thats about 45g per meal.  if
he eats six meals its about 30g.  magic...  two numbers in the range of
what he *has* to do.  I often wonder if this is the way those numbers were
obtained*sigh*  but there is no question that a number of smaller meals has
to be eaten.  184g of protein at once is a lot.