BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:38:07 -0400

Ruth, the field of kit house manufacturers is much greater than just Sears.
You also need to consider othere national manufacturers such as Montgomery
Ward, Aladdin, Gordon Van-Tine, and the manufacturer of my house plans,
Harris Brothers, among others.  Then after you get done with the national
mfrs, you need to also look at the regional folks...there were many many
local mills and lumber yards that were producing their own plans, usually
just one or two basic designs which were then varied through the use of
different exterior materials, addition or deletion of porches or pergolas,
mirror imaging the plan, etc.  And finally, there were a boatload of
architects that were producing their own plan books from which you could
select a plan for your new house and for $2 they would send you blueprints
sufficient for you to use to construct the house locally.

Sears house lumber was branded with the Sears name and the model number of
the house in which it was being used.  You can go into the attic and inspect
the rafters and find it.  Same with the early Montgomery Ward houses,
although they stopped the practice after a while.

My guess from your description though is that you have a basic floor plan
(origin unknown) that was repeated by the local builder using the local
lumber yard's standard trim (hence the same interior detail) with different
treatments on the exterior for variety.
Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.           "Have nothing in your house that
Raleigh Historic                        you do not know to be useful
Districts Commission                or believe to be beautiful."
[log in to unmask]                                       -- William Morris
919/890-3678