BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Two Pinheads, three opinions." -- LK
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 19:03:16 -0700
Hey guys and gals, I'm full of questions lately.  What are gabion cages?
Are they like these funky thingys made of like heavy duty chicken wire
filled with rocks that I have seen lately in this area.  They are put
beside the road so the bank won't wash into the road, mostly.  In my day
they would have used piled up old tires or logs or something but now I
guess they can't use stuff like that, I guess it doesn't cost enough.  Ruth

At 9:20 AM -0500 4/4/02, Ken Follett wrote:
In a message dated 4/4/2002 2:21:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

It comprised a row of circular steel baskets, similar to the gabion cages
used in sea walls, filled to overflowing with fragments of marble panels
from the facade of Finlandia Hall.

LOL! I wonder if marble is as good as gneiss for gabion retaining walls?

][<en

--
Ruth Barton
Westminster, VT