BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"Panhandle: \"At least now I have something to hold on to." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:25:25 -0400
Chapter 765.4a of the NYS Code requires that buildings with over two stories
(and having a roof slope of less than 15 degrees) have one or more stair
towers that lead to the roof (the number depends on the number of stair
towers).  Unfortunately as a practical matter (at least where I work, a
university) they are kept locked to prevent people from using them in
non-emergency situations (I don't think this complies with the intent of the
code).  Perhaps they could be on releases controlled by the central fire
alarm system or have the crash bars that alert of someone using them (like
the "emergency only--alarm will sound" crash bars on some doors)?

Two story buildings with roof slopes of 15 degrees or less and not having
stair access can use a scuttle and ladder to the roof is an alternate.

Three foot high parapet walls or railings are required where roof access is
available.