Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:51:25 +1000
From: "Eugene Dean" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 9:56 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Building New PC

> I'm on a tight budget, but would like recommendations of quality products.
Here is the following I would like to include in a new PC:

> CD-RW drive

Sony CRX 140E IDE drive. My 145E has been working perfectly.

> DVD-ROM drive

Can't tell, but I've heard Toshiba is very good brand. I personaly don't own
a DVD drive (no use of it), but I build PCs with all brand of DVD drives, I
can't see a clear winner myself.

> 4x AGP port

Do you mean mobo? if so, all mobo (exept all-in-one mobo) today offers 4x
AGP.

> APG Video Card

Hercules 3D prophet 4500, or if you want cheaper card, get a Hercules MX
card.

> 128MB SDRAM

Depende, I highly recommend CAS2 RAM (Micro RAM is highly recommended), but
if the budget is tight, and you want to save few $ on RAM, cheap CAS3 RAM is
ok.

> 20-40 GB HD

IBM DTLA 307040, offers very good performance, at low price.

> 100 ATA controller card

You don't need it. I recommend to get a ASUS A7V133 mobo, it offers 2
standard (ata100) IDE controller plus 2 Promise ATA100 controller onboard.

> If anyone could recommend a good motherboard & processor speed/brand to
compliment these components

Nothing beat AMD Duron processor on term of performance/price. Look for
Intel solution if you have money to waste. both P3 & celeron processor are
over prices and never reach the performance level of AMD cpus. P4 seems
good, but the sky-high price and out-of-mind priced RDRAM will kill your
budget.

Jun Qian

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com