From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:43:14 -0500
The Cat5 cables that I purchased (Straight Through) are not wired not quite
the same as listed below.  Since you connect the same wires on the same
pins on both ends, the cable will still work.  However if you look closely
at a true Cat5 cable the White-Green and White-blue wires are inter changed
so it looks like:

white & orange
orange
white & green
blue
white & blue
green
white & brown
brown

This matters if you are using a jack on one end and a plug on the other end
and are trying to follow a color coded wiring diagram for the jack.  See
the URL below to see the cable wiring color pin outs for straight through
and crossover cables:

http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/cabling.html

Doug

At 3/25/01 11:54 AM, Marv Trott wrote:

>If this is a certified CAT5 cable (category 5) which has four twisted pairs
>of 24 gauge wire then from the wire insertion end with the connecting pins
>visible (up) the colors should be from left to right
>
>white & orange
>orange
>white & blue
>blue
>white & green
>green
>white & brown
>brown
>
>These connection are the same on both ends of the cable.
>
>Marv Trott
>
>At 07:51 AM 3/24/01 +0300, you wrote:
>
> >How should I select the colour combination to crimp an AT&T network cable?
>
>         The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>        tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>            Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>