From:
Michael T Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:15:52 -0400
Roberto Safora wrote:

>I tried to test a CPU PII 233 MHz in a DTK PRM 23I E1 mobo.
>It did not work and I saw no way to do it. The cpu was OK, tested in an
>older PC.
>Is it normal that old PII (slot 1 of course) do not work in modern mobos
>that work with PIII 800, 866, etc?
>I remember I had a Mobo Shuttle AB61, that works with PII and PIII.
>IŽd like to rear some comments.

Hi Roberto!

   Will it let you into BIOS?!?

   If not, try seating the CPU over-and-over. About a year ago the industry "modified" the slot for Slot 1 so that SECC2/Slotket cards would work better. This has caused the front side pins not to completely contact the CPU.

   If you think it trying to work, do a manual default on the BIOS setting.

   PII 233 and some PII 266 are a bit different from earlier PII's. First, clock-locking was not used on these early CPU's. They can set from x2.5 to x4.0. And automatic voltage settings are abit of a wash on these as well. Later versions of BIOS have "a generation lost" in there background and rely on the much newer CPU's plug-n-play, and are test as suchat the factory. Defaulting the BIOS and manually setting up the CPU usually works.

   I have 2 PII 233 overclocked (one on a Alton MB with the same problem your having) using 100Mhz FBS. One at 300Mhz (100 x3) and the other at 350Mhz on an Abit MB, both with three fan heatsinks. So far, both systems have been up almost a year without an issue.

   Hope this helps,
   Michael
--
10115 Mountain Flower Ct