Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 02:49:16 -0700
  There are two basic ways to set up a subnet with multiple
"endpoint" devices on it:

1.  Link them all with "T" connectors along a co-axial cable, with a
terminating resistor at each end.  I don't recommend this, for a
number of reasons.

2.  Connect each device to a multiport hub or switch.  In general,
you use straight-through cables for this; you can use a cross-over to
link two hubs/switches, unless one provides an "uplink" port (which
is wired as a crossover so it uses a straight-through cable).

  Your question sounds like you are using a router with multiple
ports; what this really means is that the router has a hub or switch
built in.  You'll use straight-through cables to connect PCs in that
case; you might use a crossover if you need to add a hub/switch to
provide more ports and that second hub/switch doesn't have an uplink
port.
  If I've guessed wrong, and you're connecting a separate hub/switch
to the router, that will be a straight-through connection.  [This is
the confusing case, because it "looks" kinda like an "uplink" -- but
that's from a layer 3 perspectie, and what counts is layer 2, from
which the router is just another layer 3 device.]

David Gillett

On 8 Aug 2001, at 13:27, Rob wrote:

> I just had Sprint Broadband install and was wondering if there are
> any tweaks/harware config that I should be aware of to take full
> advantage. I will be networking several computers together thru a
> router. I know I use a crossover cable for just one computer
> without the router. Do I need to use straight cables when using the
> router and networking the other computers?
> TIA
> Rob Shane

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com