Sat, 20 Jan 2001 19:46:24 -0800
On 18 Jan 2001, at 10:06, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I have an Adaptec 2906 PCI SCSI card.  Currently the only device
> connected to it is an Acer 310s scanner.  I would like to add a
> scsi hd.  Is there any problems or things I should watch out for
> when selecting a scsi hd?  I've never delt with scsi hd before.

  There are 3 common internal SCSI interfaces:  50-pin (SCSI-2), 68-
pin (Wide SCSI) and 80-pin (SCA - includes power pins).  You'll need
to get a cable that matches what the 2906 offers (probably 50-pin),
and maybe a converter to adapt the drive (I believe most new SCSI
drives are SCA).

  SCSI devices are assigned an ID from 0-7 (If you have a wide
controller, IDs 8-15 are available for other wide devices).
Generally, the controller is device 7, and your scanner is probably
device 5 or 6.  Your new drive must not conflict with these; if you
want it to be bootable, it may have to be device 0.

  The 2906 is currently terminating the inboard end of the SCSI bus.
It won't be able to do that with the drive installed, so you will
need to either enable termination on the drive, or add a terminator
at the end of the cable.
  Some modern SCSI drives are "LVD".  When installed with an older
controller like yours, they should revert to "standard" SCSI and
provide automtic termination.

David G