From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:23:04 -0800
> Maybe because adults are adults and babies are
> babies.
>
> << a question that i allready asked a long time ago
> and never got answered is

Basically, that is absolutely correct. Natural
Hygienists and Fruitarians have long argued that adult
protein needs could not be greater than babies protein
needs because babies are doubling their weight every
few months. However, I've read a number of opposing
opinions that state that it's basically comparing
apples and oranges. Babies' growth is high speed "new"
growth in everything - bones, skin, organs, hair, and
to a lesser extent, muscle. The ratios of
macronutrients is perfect for this type of growth.
Adult "growth" is primarily *replacement* growth - a
breakdown and replacement of tissue - much less
efficient and requiring an entirely different nutrient
mix. Plus, adults are generally :) place much more
demand on their muscles and require more protein to
replace a greater muscle mass.

One analogy I remember is a comparison of the fuel
requirements for a long-haul diesel truck vs. a
formula one race car. Both have internal combustion
engines, but they require completely different fuels.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/