From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:58:29 -0500
On Sat, 31 Oct 1998 11:19:48 -0500, Laurie Brooke Adams (Mother Mastiff)
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>On Wed, 1 Nov 2000 23:08:52 -0800 David Lewandowski
>><[log in to unmask]> writes:
>>>         Halloween - the celebration of the antichrist.
>

>...  Her celebration of  All
>Hallows Eve had to do with the changing of the seasons, and NOTHING to do
>with any other religion.
>Wiccans and their predecessors such as Druids have NOTHING to do with ANY
>other religion in their own worship.

Wiccans?

Halloween- the night before the 1st of November has to do with the change of
the season. Summer changes to winter.
Celtic name of the fest is samhain.
As opposed to beltane which is (the night before) 1st May.
Ever danced "into the may"?

The night between the seasons doesn't belong to a season and is the night
where humans (of this world) can meet freely creaures from the otherworld.
Often addressed as fees or elfes.

Druids (wise men of celtic times) of course celebrated such events and of
course before Christ was born - celtic religion existed from about 500BC
and was suppressed after romans invaded most celtic countries like France,
Spain and southern Germany. Probably the new power disliked the influence of
the druids. In this area the old (druid) religion was suppressed and fighted
at (and people had to be converted from it to become christian).
This may be the cause,
why  some now consider them as to be anti christ direction.

You can see it quite differently (I do).
There *are* some celtic reqions where celtic religion was not suppressed,
because they were'nt invaded by romans. Ireland, Scotland and parts of
Wales, Cornwall and the Bretagne could remain in the old culture.
From where they adopted christianism eagerly.
Because it fits very well.....
It was Irish monks who brought christianism to Germany.

food?
Fruits had to be harvested before samhain. Except sloes.

Amadeus
(who likes his celtic anchestry
and isn't afraid of the otherworld)