CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tony Abdo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:49:24 -0600
I don't know that most all list members are aware of the campaign to
catch the '7 Texas escapees'.     To give them the death penalty....
that is.

It's part of the Bush/ US capitalist media offensive..... Speak softly,
March Right campaign.     It was big news amongst the unwashed
heathen. Watch *America's Most Wanted*, and then catch the 'scum'!
  Which is just what happened.     You too, can join the lynch
mob!   Oh what fun.

How pervasive US racial profiling is.     Did we even recognize it
this time?     All the posters for the 'bad boys' had an unusual
structure in the press listing.   It entered the brain like a sleepy
virus.

The order of the 'Seven' was not alphabetical as would be expected. All
the prisoners with Hispanic last names were listed first, ON TOP, with
their photos.     The three Anglos came on bottom, with the tall one
in the middle.     It was the tall one that got noticed by the
'hero' public citizen.   The effect was an ever so subtle connecting
in the Anglo mind, of criminality with slightly darker skin.

Good work, Police!     We didn't even notice.

Tony Abdo