CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Andrej Grubacic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:11:03 +0100
> You just blew your credibility, fella.

Not more than anybody else who uses AP reports for instance, or other
govermental or mainstream media news. Like Noam Chomsky for instance.
Goverments and institutions (Chomsky didnt lost his credibility while using
informations from UN, a very notorious organization nowdays, or did he?)
sometimes do tell usefull informations especcialy after US holocausts, like
in Vietnam , Japan,Iraq, or other notty countries, for instance.....
Let's go on with "mainstream prop."
 Bye fella'
                  Andrej
PS to everyone who enjoy intelectual masturbation or sheer racism instead of
helping people whatever their colour, nationality or political perssuasion
might be, a little ethical reminder:

>Mr Wells, who raised the issue during a short debate and urged the
>Government to push for the lifting of sanctions, said: "Yesterday in
>Belgrade, a little baby girl of six months died of cold.

Sleep well..........
=================================
OIL BAN 'ENDANGERING SERB CHILDREN'
Jackie Storer, Political Staff, PA News
(Wednesday 2 February)

The European Union - backed by the UK - is "knowingly depriving" Serbian
people of oil for heating as temperatures in the region plummet to minus
20 degrees, MPs were told today.

Tory Bowen Wells (Hertford and Stortford) said the harsh weather were not
unforeseen, yet sanctions - imposed after the Kosovo crisis - still
existed to include a ban on oil exports to Serbia.

Mr Wells, who raised the issue during a short debate and urged the
Government to push for the lifting of sanctions, said: "Yesterday in
Belgrade, a little baby girl of six months died of cold.

"She was a Serbian Kosovo refugee whose parents, along with a group of
other Serbs, found shelter in ruins of a bombed out factory.

"The family of the little girl had been ethnically cleansed from Kosovo
and left unprotected by Nato."

Mr Wells stressed: "The EU has knowingly deprived Serbia of the capacity
to keep its people warm.

"They therefore endangered the lives of young children and the elderly by
exposing them to hypothermia."

Mr Wells said Serbian oil refineries had been bombed during the conflict
and the region's main supply link, the Danube, had been blocked in a bid
to ultimately depose Serb leader President Slobodan Milosevic.

The MP claimed it was unfair that Energy for Democracy, a programme aimed
at supplying oil to Serbia, had concentrated its efforts on two Serbian
towns which did not support the Milosevic government.

"This can't be called a humanitarian action. It's partial and it's not
administered with the agreement of the authorities of Serbia," he said in
Westminster Hall, the Commons parallel chamber.

He asked John Battle, Foreign Office Minister of State, why the Government
had not sought to press the EU to lift its sanctions on heating oil
supplies to Serbia.

He claimed that without sanctions being lifted, a black market would open
and Russia would begin supplying Serbia, giving Milosevic control and
therefore increasing his grip on power.

Mr Battle said Serbia was the poorest country in Europe. Energy for
Democracy began in November 1999 with a pilot project involving the supply
of oil to two Serbian towns.

He said it was possible for organisations to make applications for heating
oil from EU countries if they could prove it was humanitarian reasons
which mounted to an exemption to the sanctions.

Oil was being targeted at areas that had municipal heating and generators
to supply places, including schools and hospitals.

His remarks prompted Labour's Alice Mahon (Halifax) - a staunch opponent
of Nato's bombing of Serbia - to say: "I am really, really shocked that my
Government is going along with something as obscene as deciding who lives
and who dies."

Mr Battle denounced the comment and stressed that the whole of Serbia
could not be supplied with heating oil.

"It would be lost in a system of corruption already. It wouldn't actually
get through and reach the people on the ground," he said.

Groups such as the Red Cross, the United Nations High Commissioner for
Refugees and the Department for International Development were active in
Serbia.

Unicef had supplied 40,000 tonnes of energy to the region.

He added: "The only thing that can set Serbia back on the path to economic
recovery is a change in the regime and strategy for the well being of the
nation."

-