BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chapel of the unPowered nailers.
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:33:11 -0800
>Makes about as much sense as sledding down Library Slope?
> ][<en

I wonder if other schools had such a happy sporting cavalier attitude to
snow fun
as Cornell, for example, the Beebe Lake Toboggan Slide.

Actually, my brother and I had the childhood fortune/misfortune to toboggan
down the Library Slope on one of the ancient steel runnered ice toboggans
from the famous old toboggan slide on Beebe Lake.   Did you ever see
pictures of that baby!   It was built like a giant ski jump ramp, but it led
straight on to the ice of the lake.   The timber tower and slide were
declared unsafe when I was a kid, and the toboggans were sold at a giant
public yard sale.   My dad always loved a bargain and for him the giant
toboggan meant memories of his own student days when safety meant something
quite different.   The monster 10' toboggan was made of oak planks with four
steel strap runners bolted to the bottom.   It weighed a ton, especially
when you were 10 and the snow was either wet or fluffy.   The snow-missile
when like a jet on ice crusted snow and could seat a crowd, which was a good
idea because then you had help pulling the damn thing back up hill.

Wish I had it now so I could donate it to a museum of folly and fun.
cp in bc