BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:28:02 EDT
In a message dated 8/11/00 3:57:34 PM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> I actually did go back and edit it
>  for clarity before sending the email.

Dan,

There is a word for picking the right word, I can't recall what the word is,
I wish that I could. Regardless, I find picking the right word makes a lot of
difference for clarity and impact of statement. Not using the wrong word, as
I often find myself doing, also helps. Sometimes the feeling in a flow is
that the right word is coming through us... the art of conversation and we
ramble on in a head trip (as one BP detractor remarked) -- but with writing
on occasion we get to backtrack on the flow and edit, refine what we meant to
say to more clearly resemble what we want the imagined audience to think we
said. Somehow this all seems fundamentally deceptive and it probably accounts
for why compulsive rewriting often leads to authors pursuing an excess of
brain numbing diversions.

][<en