From:
Daniel Steigelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:23:28 -0500

Listees,

Many thanks for the responses to my request about the history of the
disease!!  I am at the moment barraged by biochemistry and anatomy, but will
dive into it headfirst as soon as I catch a break.

About Minneapolis...I have a cousin who lives there and recently had a baby.
She's married to a man who has complained of digestive disorders and
diarrhea all his life - to date diagnosed as irritable bowel syndrome.  The
baby has almost constant diarrhea (been to the ER....no viruses or other
obvious pathologies) and refuses to eat anything other than rice, at which
point she does fine (does this sound familiar to anyone?).  I'm a diagnosed
DH patient, so it's mathematically plausible my cousin carries CD genes.
I'd like to know a couple of things so I can give them info to get proper
care and possible diagnosis ASAP:

1. Does anyone know of good adult and pediatric gastroenterologists and/or
primary care physicians in the Minneapolis area for celiac disease?

2. What is the contact info for the local celiac support group(s) there?

Also...to confirm the posting by Greg earlier, there was a 2 minute piece on
last night's news about CD here in DC ;)...kudos to Andrea Howe, chair of
the local Washington Area Celiac Sprue support group, for probably doing no
small amount of work to convince the channel to do the piece.  They
interviewed her and Dr. Fasano and had some shots of the research center at
U-MD.  Most of the info from the piece you all have certainly heard before
(ixnay on the eatwhay), and quoted the center's recent findings of an
incidence rate of 1 in 120.  Dr. Fasano did state that the goal is to
eventually develop a vaccine to prevent onset of disease in those with
genetic predisposition, however, he gave no indication of progress other
than to say it is a goal of the research.

Many thanks for all of your help!!  I shall post and summarize Minneapolis
info.  Happy December. :)

Dan in Maryland