CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fred Welfare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:50:51 EST
In a message dated 12/17/00 7:10:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> After a statewide count of votes Gore lost, Bush won.

The actual count was never finalized.

>   After a statewide recount of votes, Gore lost, Bush won.

The recount was never completed, and it was not statewide.

>   After a Democrat Party selected recount of heavy Democrat districts, Gore
>  lost, Bush won.

Again, this recount was also not completed.

>   After Florida Democrat party operatives attempted to implement a recount
>  based on any standard that would give Democrat counters leeway in stealing
>  votes for Gore, the votes were certified by the state of Florida, according
>  to Florida law.

When you say the word 'stealing,' you are lying.  There was no objection to
the standards nvolved, in all cases in which recount were conducted, however
partial, there were observers from both parties.  There were no cases of
disagreement at these settings, so the standards were never at issue.
Perhaps, if you refrain from calling it, 'stealing,' then other will not call
you a liar!

>    After the Florida Supreme Court stepped in and usurped the authority of
> the legislature the US supreme court chastised them.  Another attempt by the
>  Florida Supreme court, in conjunction with the Democrat Party, to subvert
> the rule of law was again squelched by the US supreme court.

Only a loose imagination would consider the Florida Supreme Court of usurping
their own legislature, what you are referring to is the standard that the
Florida Supreme Court stated was appropriate, a very wide standard at that,
that each vote should be judged by the voter's intent.  Apparently, you have
a problem with that, as does the US Supreme Court, and now the people have a
problem with those justices who
have in effect negated the intent of the voters and hence rendered all voters
in the future suspect of whether their vote wil count in the way they
intended when they voted.  Your ignoring of this potentiality by claiming
that the US Supreme Court has squelched the Florida Supreme Court and the
Democratic Party is nothing but bombast and rhetoric, which I predict will be
repaid in like to you and yours!

The US Supreme Court has proven absolutely nothing other than that they are
beholden to their appointers, that they are thoroughly politicized, that
fairness is not in their repertoire, and that they are not competent enough
to be impartial.

V.