CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:48:19 -0800
This completely ignores the disenfranchisement of black voters who were refused
ballots because Bush's Florida co-campaign chair, Secretary of State Harris,
had provided polling stations with a flagrantly erroneous list of ineligible
"felons", which I seem to recall contained the names of 8,000 blacks who were
not felons at all.  This list originated from a private company in Atlanta
headed by major Bush contributors, who in turn got their list of names from
Texas.  These disenfranchised voters surely  would have been sufficient to have
elected Gore (not that I care squat that he wasn't elected).  There is also the
whole additional issue of police intimidation of black voters around polling
districts.  (If you were a poor black driving a beater with a defective muffler,
would you knowingly risk a virtual certain ticket and fine by driving through a
police vehicle check between you and the polling station?).  Anyhow, that is
simply the kind of corrupt racist system that exists, endorsed and supported by
the Supremes who look like ducks, walk like ducks,  . . . . . . . .Dan