CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeff Shaddock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:26:27 -0600
I find it very interesting that Americans are so shocked to find out their
electoral system is a joke. 'The electoral collage': HA!

As to the ballots, I am curious as to what those of you who think GWB
'stole' the election would offer as a remedy. It know that AG won the
popular vote AND that if people knew how to but a hole in a piece of paper,
he probably would have won Florida too. But, as much as I hate to admit it,
GWB's lawyers are correct: you cann't change the rules of the vote after the
fact. You cannot count ballots that are not filled out correctly (that means
those where the 'chads' aren't punched all the way out).

I hope that you don't think the Supreme Court should have considered the
popular vote, or the fact that AG (as almost everyone knows) 'won' Florida
in thier decision. That would indeed have been wrong.

J.