CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anthony Abdo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 07:43:02 -0600
Issodhos,

I'm kind of surprised,  that you do not see any Western responsibility,
in the current plagues raging across Africa.     After 500 years+ of
looting and plunder of the African continet,  it is hard not to call
this GENOCIDE.

This is not a past issue.     And the United States has continued to
actively participate and foment war across Africa.    Disease is a
natural result of war,  and war created poverty.

A review of Clinton policies in Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Rwanda alone,
shows direct responsibility in creating wars that have murdered
millions.      It is very hard to put into place,  disease prevention
programs  under these circumstances.    In fact,  there has been seen
little desire to do so, despite the  future threat that disease poses
for Americans themselves.

I suggest, as has Kofi Annan, that while we have our eyes on smaller
disputes elsewhere,  that the misery caused by American militarism,  is
infinitely of greater dimension in Africa, than in almost anywhere else
on the globe.