CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
B Sandford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 12:26:19 +1300

> Actually, I think you have to be careful here.  The largest Islamic nation
> in the world is Indonesia.  One of the most fundamentalist Islamic nations
> is Saudi Arabia.  Close allies both.  Certainly foreign policy
> decisions by
> US planners take more into account than religious orientation.
>
> Soren

It's interesting isn't it? Like Milutin, and following on from Huntington's
'Clash of Civilizations', I see that the Islamics have been demonised in the
popular consciousness, just as communism was. But hey, as you rightly
observe, the popular consciousness and its manipulation is a different
reality from strategic captialist imperatives. Vodka Cola has become a Halal
Hamburger - why would we expect any different?

bruce sandford
Hamilton 2001
Aotearoa - New Zealand

ICQ: 20816964