BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kurt Eichenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kurt Eichenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 16:02:08 -0400
Hi,

This is my first message to the list, so a little about myself. I am an Architect in Raleigh NC who specialized in working with
older buildings. Its a great racket. Just figure out what the original designer/builder  had in mind and go with it.

I am presently working on the restoration and adaptive reuse plans for the lake Mattamuskeet lodge, in Hyde County
North Carolina, on the Lake Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge. This building was originaly constructed in 1915 as
the largest pumpinfg plant in the world for the purposes of draining Lake Mattamuskeet for use as farmland. The lake is
about 50,000 acres. This whole improbable scheme finally collapsed around 1934, and the Feds obtained title to the
whole deal.

The pumping plant was converted into a hunting lodge by the CCC in about 1937. The pumping and power machinery
were removed, interior floors and walls were constructed, and the original smokestack was converted into an
observation tower.

Now for the question!!

The exterior brick masonry of the building was painted with a very thick dense white paint. Historical records from the time
indicate that the building was painted with a "cement paint" and indicate that the painted area had to be kept wet for a few
days after painting as part of the painting procedure. This coating was clearly painted on, rather than trowled on as one
can still see the brushmarks.

We are planning to do some extensive masonry repairs to the building, and I would like to specify the same type of paint
for repaired areas.

Are any  of you familiar with this type of paint from around the mid '30's? I am interested in design mixes, application info
and history etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kurt Eichenberger/architect AIA

This Message Was Sent With An UNREGISTERED Version Of PMMail.
Please Encourage Its Author To Register Their Copy Of PMMail.
For More Information About PMMail And SouthSide Software's Other
Products, Contact http://www.southsoft.com.