CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Fred Welfare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:14:54 EST
In a message dated 12/17/00 10:46:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The initial machine count was statewide and included all but the absentee
>  ballots.  Bush won.  Don't obfuscate with caveats such as "finalized".  It
> is
>  a form of lying (If I might sink to your level:-))

You appear to relish the opportunity to call people names. You stated that
Democrats were stealing and that the Florida Supreme Court was usurping.
Supposing that you are merely embellishing on the situation, when you say
that
all of the votes were counted, except the absentee ballots, then you have
contradicted yourself. Also, you have ignored the fact that absentee votes
were counted that were received after the deadline.  When the margin is this
narrow, and the error rate for these voting machines puts almost 4000 votes
at issue statewide.
Furthermore, the law is expected to withstand our rational criticism,
particularly in the name of fairness.  Therefore, when the law is not fair it
has not been ratinalized and is in need of clarification.  If you are
attempting to defend an hiatus between the law and fairness, then I suggest
you make a stronger claim about the validity of law in our society because
after this absurdity, the potential for chaos and resistance
has been sharpened!

V.