CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
John Korber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 11:32:42 EST

>Amnesty International writes this:
>> At least 150,000 people have fled Kosovo for the relative safety of
>> neighbouring Macedonia, Albania and Montenegro IN THE PERIOD SINCE
>> NATO AIR ATTACKS BEGAN on 24 March. (emphasis mine)

Not an inaccurate statement.

>Why didn't they write it this way:
>
>At least 150,000 people have fled Kosovo for the relative safety of
>neighbouring Macedonia, Albania and Montenegro in the period since the
>Yugoslav security forces and paramilitary units started forcing them
>out...

How about " At least 150,000 people have fled Kosovo ...in the period since
Slobodan Milosevic came to power, NATO began its air attacks, and Milosevic
became able to effectively repress any possible internal opposition to his
regime
allowing him the possiblity of using Yugoslav security forces and
paramilitary units to force out the Albanians.

>Am I being too picky?

Depends on how far back do you what to go in history, and how deeply you want
to to go into contributing factors. I find it easier to oppose violence and
teach peace consistently to everyone I encounter in every situation. I do
this with teenage students. I don't know why I should behave any differently
with adults. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not.
Violence used by anyone against anyone is wrong. That's my truth.
If you like to drop bombs, go ahead. Have a party.

john korber