CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ryan Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:24:58 -0500
Mona wrote:

> Interesting blurb in the newest issue of TIME magazine.  Was interested to
> see an article about Jean Piaget.... wondered if they'd tie in Maria
> Montessori... sure enough, her pic on the same page... and at the bottom, a
> pic of Chomsky too and a short blurb.
>
> Mona

I thought that article a good indication of Time's bias. The issue was titled
"The Century's Greatest Minds." It only gave Chomsky a small mention on the
bottom of
the page. Here is what it said:

"Before Chomsky showed up in the 1950's linguistics was concerned mostly how
languages evolve over time. His Radical notion, deduced from the way we make
sentences, was that our ability to communicate through language is rooted in
the brain's basic wiring. This once controversial idea has been verified by
neurobiologists; Chomsky's equally radical far left politics, though, have
drifted ever farther from the mainstream." TIME, March 29, 1999: Page 75

I believe that they should have given Chomsky more attention in the magazine.
Would you not agree though that to refer to his politics as left-wing is
erroneous. It's this kind of labeling that gives people the wrong idea about
his writings in the political field. I don't personally believe his politics
can really be applied to the political spectrum. Far right and far left become
the same thing. It does a disservice to the message he puts across to label him
like this. I suppose this is the type of thing one should come to expect when
reading TIME though.
RT