BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 12:20:06 GMT
Al Gilman followed up Roger Jones, and suggested looking
at what media labs at MIT have done.  I have been following
this, through the wearables list.  In fact the discussions
on FM have been inconclusive.  The idea of radio broadcast
communication was not discussed.  I think this is a very
interesting idea.  One of the main differences between
technology discussed for wearables and that for blind people
is cost.  Since most blind people are either elderly or
out of work, the facilities need to be really cheap.
Modifying a radio set to receive special data broadcast
should be quite cheap.  In fact radio sets designed to
receive digital radio could receive data at no extra
cost.  What's happening to the price of such radios?
The ease of tuning makes digital radio particularly
attractive to blind people.

I'd be happy to continue this discussion off-line, Roger.
There seems to be limited interest in the blind-dev list.

Cheers from Chiswick,

John
--

--
Access the word, access the world    Tel/fax +44 181 742 3170/8715
John Nissen, Chiswick, London, UK    Email to [log in to unmask]