BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Dewhurst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 19:23:44 -0400
01-OCT-99

Regarding using tactile methods to convey 2D visual images, I investigated
this last year when I was considering extending the "pictures via sound"
spare-time experimental project that I've been pottering at for several
years to include tactile output. At the time the "FEELit Mouse" was being
demoed by Immersion - it allows the features of Windows sessions to be
conveyed as tactile effects, though I haven't tried the device myself.

I've been investigating using a modified force-feedback joystick to
indicate position within an image (to produce a hand-moving effect similar
to that produced by the Betacom ScreenRover that I've just read about) and
also convey categorical visual information and shapes - I describe the
approach in :

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/daviddewhurst/details1.htm

Regards,

David Dewhurst