From:
Mary Carol Koester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:21:46 EST

I was diagnosed with CD 3 years ago.  Maybe 2 years before that, my mother
(age 74) was hospitalized because of a severe bowel impaction.  For months
before the hospitalization she had become nauseus everytime she ate.  Last
year, she started having attacks of vertigo.  In the last month she has
broken out in a terribly itchy rash, red with small bumps under the skin, on
her neck and chest.  Her MD told her the rash was a yeast infection and gave
her a cream and antihistimines.  When it only worsened she was referred to a
dermatologist who told her it was not fungus and that he didn't know what it
was but he doubled her antihistimine.  She has not slept the itch is so bad.

I suggested she sent a blood sample into the U of MD study and also to ask
her doctor is she could try dapsone in the meantime. Her MD told her DH has
blisters and that what she had was not DH.  He told her he did not see a need
to send a blood sample to U of MD and that he has seen celiac disease and it
is accompanied by chronic diarrhea (which she does not have).

I am concerned.  Does anyone know a gastroenterologist or dermatologist or MD
in the Akron/Cleveland area that she could see for another opinion.

How far should I push this? She is not one to argue with a doctor.

Thank you in advance, MC