CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"F. Leon Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 06:56:30 -0400
CHOMSKY Subscribers:

_to the QUICK_ has a need for submissions focusing on the "new" protest
movement both in the United States and worldwide.  Recently, the
activities of protestors at the WTO, the IMF/World Bank, and both recent
political conventions seem to signal a "revival" of social action, and we
are particularly concerned with the way the media has covered (or
mis-covered) these events as well as the actions of various "authorities."

Submissions should in some way address the significance of either these
"new" protests (perhaps in a wider context of social action) or their
cultural representation, but innovative spins on these issue as well as
analytical testimonials from participants are welcome. Additionally,
articles focusing on any aspect of a particular local, national, or global
protest movement(s) (even if not involved in the previous examples) will
also be considered.  The topic is wide open, so long as submissions
address the question of political and social action in the contemporary
context.

Please query as soon as possible to [log in to unmask]  General
guidelines for _to the QUICK_ follow, and we are still considering
unrelated submissions. Note extended deadline of Oct. 15.

*********

*CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS* (Please forward to interested parties)

|to the QUICK : issue #4|
the journal magazine of media and cultural studies at Binghamton University

Who says "academic" writing can't be exciting?

CONTENT.
We want essays, articles, and columns (or proposals outlining such
projects) that perform thematic, theoretical, and cultural analyses of
media arts like TV shows, films, music, or cultural movements and issues as
diverse as you can possibly imagine.

"Artificial intelligence, Audio verite, Bob Flanagan, Church of the
Subgenius, Computer languages, Corporate postmodernism, Cut-ups,
Duplication and the history of "copy", Edward Gorey, E-mail forwards"

These media forms have in the past been dismissed as unimportant cultural
markers when measured against the mass of "literary" studies. to the QUICK
continues the work of media literacy and cultural studies programs by
drawing attention to the meaning existent in all discussions and arts. We
also take the notion of "interdisciplinary" to heart, believing that each
discipline is another way of reading the world and yet is part of a very
similar critical attitude.

"Failed soft drinks, Fertility drugs, Foreign language acquisition in the
schools, Holocaust revisionist rhetoric, Hot-air ballooning, Internet chat
rooms, Kissing, Kitchen gadgetry, Marginalia, Monster Trucks (that turn
into giant robots), NAFTA, New anarchisms, Phish heads, Police reality
shows, Psychic "friends""

to the QUICK therefore takes the stance that writing across
disciplines-through carefully contextualized writing-can say informative
and fascinating things even to readers outside of that field.

STYLE.
If not already implicit, you should make clear how your analysis is
culturally relevant, what issues your reading is bringing up. The less the
subject is popular or well-known, the greater the need to point out this
cultural relevancy rather than relying on the weight of a theoretical
framework.

	…Rosie/Oprah/Kathy Lee products, Side effects, Snuff films,
Thinking the
"spork," Two-term presidents, Video morphing, What Would Jesus Do?, Water
in the 21st century and you get the idea already!!

It is not necessary that essays implement critical theory. However, theory
is a way of reading the world and can be useful and exciting. Essays should
still avoid one of the pitfalls of academic writing: the dropping of
esoteric terms or phrases without context. Careful emphasis should be
placed on the relevancy of allusions and terminology; the reader should not
have to wallow through a dense litter of meaningless prose.

QUICKTIPS.
- Be sure to describe the subject in such a way that the reader does not
have to know the subject in order to appreciate your point. Present your
context!
- TTQ does not publish film or music reviews.
- If your essay exceeds our word limit, please "cut" it yourself!

SUBMIT.
Essays and articles: 4500 words maximum
Columns: 250 - 1750 words
Book reviews: 500 - 1000 words

Deadline:  TTQ does read unsolicited submissions but encourages queries.
Deadline for queries with 200-250 word abstracts is September 25. Deadline
for all articles is October 15, 2000. Queries recommended for book reviews.
Indicate word count for all text w/endnotes. Also indicate if piece has
been truncated. Please observe Chicago Manual Style and put all
parenthetical information into endnotes, with no Works Cited. If you have
access to and permission for related photos or images, please indicate.
Your article will be given a careful peer-review.

We are also interested in reprinting pieces published elsewhere. TTQ needs
pieces for our columns: "The Obligatory Old Book Review" takes an "old"
book, author, or theorist and presents an original argument as to how and
why the author's ideas still apply to or are reflected in today's society;
"The Rewrite Department" uses experimental non-fiction to comment on
contemporary cultural issues; and Slipstream picks out an event of cultural
significance from the contributor's life, describing and analyzing it in a
memoir-like, creative style.  For examples of these, peruse our journal
magazine on-line at www.agoron.com/~matthewk/quick. The web site also
contains a variety of other useful tips and information.

Issue #3, available in August, as well as Issue #2 (Fall 1999) may be
ordered by mailing a check (payable to "Joe Bisz," our Managing Editor) for
$5.00 each plus $1.18 shipping to our address below.  Issues #2 and #3 may
be purchased together for only $7.50 plus $1.18 shipping. Issue #3 will
feature essays on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," images of slavery at
historical sites, "Happy Days" and the Carter years, house porches, and
much more. Issue #2 featured analyses of IKEA, "Xena: Warrior Princess,"
Tupac Shakur, record sampling and more.

For instructors:
TTQ's interdisciplinary, contextualized writing style--combined with photos
and images-- makes it an amazing tool for teaching cultural studies and
critical thinking. Please email us for prices and ordering information
(instructors receive a free one-year subscription). To see if TTQ is right
for your class, send us payment for a sample copy; if you don't like it,
return it and we'll refund your payment. Our web site also has full subject
lists for each issue.

Electronic submissions are preferred in RTF, Word, or WordPerfect format
<[log in to unmask]> but you may also mail manuscripts to:

to the QUICK
English Department
PO Box 6000
Binghamton University
Binghamton, New York 13902

Include a SASE or email address for our reply. to the QUICK takes FNA print
and electronic rights for all text published.