CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:16:01 -0500

Re my question:  Does anyone have a title for a book that would give carb
counting for fast food restaurants?

Thank you to all who answered.

Ginny

My daughter is insulin dependent and celiac and just started on an insulin
pump.  Our dietician told us of a great carb counting book.  It also lists
cal.& fat.  It is The Doctor's Pocket Calorie Fat & Carbohydrate counter .
You can purchase it at www.calorieking.com.  I think it cost about $7.00.
It lists 80 fast food chains & restaurants.

"Exchanges for all Occasions (now with carbohydrate counting) Your Guide to
Healthy Foods Anytime Anywhere" by Marion J. Franz-fourth edition IDC
Publishing in Minneapolis.  ISBN1-885115-35-0.   There is a pocket size
edition too, ISBN1-885115-56-3. It's FULL of info including fast foods.

Fast Food Facts by Marion J. Franz, RS, RD, LD, CDE.  Published by IDC
Publishing, Minneapolis, MN.  Check www.idcpublishing.com.  This book is
perfect for diabetics and it's small enough to fit in a back pocket or
purse!

Also, a wonderful, tasty, easy way to cook is to use a basic rice flour
formula of 3/4 C brown rice flour and 1/4 cup sweet rice flour in place
of each cup of flour called for in most any recipe.  I do cooking demos
with this - kids love the results.  I will have a web site hopefully
within the next week where people can get info, recipes, and provide us
with insights to help us in our project work - to make GF foods
affordable and accessible to all who need them.  Grandma Whimsy will be
the name used.  Clinicical nutritionists have endorsed the above formula
for use by diabetics.  It is so very simple and does not require
additives or starches.  Things taste better and there are few limits on
the recipes you can use.  Just substitute.  Share this with anyone you
care to - I am only interested in assisting folks in a willingness to
remain on the GF diet.  Any information you can share relative to sweet
rice flour would be appreciated.

I replied to the above post and asked if there was less carbs in brown rice
and sweet rice flour.  This is the answer.

From what the clinical nutritionists told me at the world symposium, the
advantage of the brown rice and sweet brown rice flours are that they
maintain a longer and more stable blood sugar.  The prepackaged mixes have
starches - potato and/or corn - along with additives to provide moisture and
holding power.  These starches will spike carb responses.  I would imagine
that if you used white rice flour and added rice bran it might give the same
balance, but I have not discussed this with dietitians.  I will do so.  I
personally cannot eat potato or corn, so concentrated on rice flours and
"everyday good eating".

One other point, I always cut sugar to 1/3 or 1/2 that called for, and often
eliminate it all together.  Applesauce and bananas provide good sweetener
bases, as do fruit juices.  I often use pure maple sugar both as sweetener
and it adds wonderful flavor.  I also use Turbinado - a natural sugar, but
do not have the carb levels yet - workin' on it.

Please feel free to share what you think is relevant - I often respond to
individuals on the Cel/kids and diabetes as I did to you, and that is what I
would like to continue to do through Grandma Whimsy.  People can contact me
at:  [log in to unmask] anytime.  I am happy to share.  We do have
one TV cooking show tape on the method I have described, and I enjoy
bringing bits of my clown character to demos that I do for celiac groups and
community organizations.

I live in MD, but love to travel - often head to NYS, Canada, and southward
to NC.  with all points in between and I love the southwest and northern
country and the mountains.....in other words, arrangements can be made.-----

Hope this helps,

Grandma Whims

I have used the Corinne Metzger book - I think her book of food counts
is mostly for fast food and prepackaged stuff.  My copy is pretty old,
and I haven't looked at it  for a while.

You might also ask for nutrition information when you're at the
restaurant, or call the chain's 1-800 number and ask them to mail it to
you.  I think they also all have web sites you can check.

I just bought "The Complete Book of Food Counts" by Corinne T. Netzer, ISBN:
0440225639. It's available at amazon.com for $6.75. It lists the
calories, carbohydrates, protein, sodium, cholesterol, fat, and fiber
content of each food, including fast food.