SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brian Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:39:18 -0700
In science studies, this "great debate" has for many now been put to rest.
For a very specific discussion of this, please see Bruno Latour's most
recent book "Pandora's Hope:  Essays on the Reality of Science Studies",
especially his opening chapter, where Latour recounts his exchange with an
animal ethologist who asked Latour whether he "believed in reality".

Latour like many of us in science studies have no issue with the reality of
things, humans, internet, images, drugs, space shuttles, moon rocks,
sub-atomic particles, etc.  All we ask is that one has to account for all
(or as many as one can) of these entities and propositions working together
at present and out of the past in producing the very real worlds of
action‹including the actions and findings of science along with the emerging
real faith in real things.  The complexes that allow such entities to have
the amazing power of "being" and therefore powerful effects are what is
important, not a debate about whether some very contingent thing called
"society" or an equally contingent thing called "nature" are the forces that
bring these things into being.  Society and nature are the effects of the
complex, not the powers moving it.  Rather it is humans and non-humans (eg.
images, books, lab tools, field notes, money, etc.) that do the acting, and
so are the salient powers at work.

Approaching things this way gets us all out of the double-bind of defending
the slippery notion "physical reality" from the onslaught of the equally
slippery notion of "social construction".

Perhaps, it would be better to have a discussion focussed on a question like

 "How should be reconfigure our practices for better and more effective
outcomes that move beyond the endless  polemics of the unreconcilable
dichotomy posed by the great debate?"

Brian Noble
Ph.D.
Anthropology