From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:49:55 -0800
>Does someone here know if any fruits are alkaline rather than acidic? It
>does seem the wild ones are at the extremes of the flavor spectrum.

All fruits leave an alcaline ash in the body after metabolism  but many
fruits are acidic in taste.

>Wild fruits have much more concentrated flavors, which is probably why it
>normally takes less of them to satisfy someone's appetite/ instincts.  But
>what's normal?  As a child visiting family in New Hampshire, I literally
>could pick and eat wild strawberries all day, and STILL go out the next day
>and do it all over again!  (Oh for the days of summer when school was out
>and my only jobs were to enjoy life all day, and do the dishes after
>supper.)

It is often a down fall for instinctive eaters ,
 fruits in Nature because of  their short season don't have a very strong
"stop" and it is agravated by the breeding seeking for an even milder
"stop".
so now because of the extended availability in time of milder tasting fruits
,it is so easy to overeat them beyond the natural needs.
It is logical that wild fruits like strawberries are inviting us to  eat
them as many as possible. ( ask the bears in the fall in blueberries )
 don't look for me at wild cherries season i am in the trees.
greens because of the extended availability in space and time have a very
strong "stop" to limit the overconsumption.
>Interestingly, even under identical growing conditions, everbearing
>raspberries and strawberries (developed by breeders to meet popular demand
>for people who don't want to be a** deep in berries two weeks out of the
>year and have none the rest of the year) are consistently less sweet than
>the varieties that have a shorter but specific bearing season (or two
>seasons, as some varieties have).

That is not necessarely the case because many of the spring  commercial
strawberries are bred for big quantity all at once ( practical to sale them
to processing plants or for shipping  ) and generally those ones are not
chosen for the flavor that much more for their volume ,shell life etc..)
The everbearing that i have are very flavorfull ,not very productive
 tristar and quinault)
I have a cultivated forme of alpine strawberries that produce abondantely
from spring to fall continuously .the fruit is just slighly bigger than the
wild one,  pointy and have the dlicious flavor of the wild . they don't make
runners and are grown from seed.

jean-claude