C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:44:38 +0000
On Thursday 01 February 2001 10:59 pm, Dave and Tamara Canfield wrote:
> Deri,
> We watched the show the whole way through. I got to admit it was fun
> watching. Dave has applied for the show  but is  a bit concerned with his
> seizures as they are grand-mals.  I think is would be a fun to be on it but
> I also feel it is each persons choice to be on the show.
> As for being disabled and being on it I think it would bring better
> awareness to the community and help everyone becoming more accepting. Just
> like with King Gimp and the documentary and the commercial that he has
> done. Another great way to show that disabled people are able to do
> everything "regular"  people can do.
> Tamara
> wife to Dave rh and grand-mal seizures
> mom to 6 kids 3 with CP

Not sure about "better awareness in the community". I can't do everything a
"regular" person can do, and it would be wrong for people to assume (but
likely to happen!) that people assume everything I can't do is shared by all
disabled people, equally the things I can do. Another pitfall is if the
production company are looking for a very demanding/self obsessed disabled
person (thjey do exist), just to spice up the dynamics of the  group for the
viewing figures!!! No, I've done the CP "ambassador" role often enough to
know I couldn't do it 24*7 for 9 weeks.

Cheers

Deri

PS Is Dave going for "Big Brother" (UK) or "Survival" (US).